Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Children of Huang Shi

Yesterday in the afternoon, I forgotten to mention about this movie that I watched in my room while sitting back on a “lazy chair”. The movie was none other than “The Children of Huang Shi”. This movie to me was like based on true story that happened during Japan attacking war. Also, our very own Datuk Michelle Yeoh casting in this movie.



Plot Summary:

George Hogg (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) is a young British journalist, who comes from St. George's School, Harpenden. In 1938, during the Japanese occupation of China, he sneaks into China by pretending to be a Red Cross aid worker and photographs Japanese atrocities. The Japanese discover this and decide to kill him, but Hogg is saved by Chen Hansheng (Chow Yun-Fat), a Chinese communist resistance fighter. While in the company of communists Hogg sees from a hidden position the execution by the Japanese of two of his colleagues. Shocked by this he exposes himself. In a gun fight that follows Hogg is wounded. To make himself useful while recovering he is sent to an orphanage with 60 boys in Huangshi to help Lee Pearson (Radha Mitchell), the American nurse who runs it. Soon after arrival the boys savagely attack him with sticks; he is saved by Lee, who threatens the boys with leaving.

Instructed to do so by Lee, Hogg helps to overcome the boys' shyness to be treated nakedly against lice by allowing Lee to demonstrate the treatment on him. Lee leaves for two months, and Hogg reluctantly stays to avoid that the boys are abandoned by everybody. Hogg gains the boys' respect by repairing the lighting, being their teacher, etc.

Fleeing from the nationalists who want to make the boys soldiers fighting with them against the Japanese, they make a three-month journey across the snow-bound Liu Pan Shan mountains to safety on the edge of the Mongolian desert, the first 900 km on foot. To their relief, for the last part of the journey they are supplied with four trucks.

At the destination they are supplied with a building that they turn into a new orphanage. In 1945 Hogg dies of tetanus.

(Extracted from Wikipedia)

I got this movie through download. It was divided into two parts. First part taken up my hard disk storage 698 MB (58 minutes and 29 seconds) whereas the second part was about 697 MB (62 minutes and 19 seconds). I was so fortunate enough that I manage to download both parts, 1.36 GB in ONE DAY during my studies in Kampar. The quality of this movie was almost the same like “cinema” quality. Not blur but clear.

No subtitles causing me a very hard time to understand Japanese language and what more can you say about my poor Mandarin. Indeed, Jonathan Rhys Meyers even spoke Mandarin and Japanese. The way he spoke Mandarin was like the way Chinese people speak Malay. I could understand but the tone quite different.

Somehow, the movie ended when the main character which I assumed to be was found dead. I was like,

“Hit my forehead with my palm”

A meaningful, memorable but sad movie was all I could say. I was not sure whether GSC have it or not.

No comments: