Friday, October 24, 2008

Post-Mortem of my Old Notebook [part 2]

Somehow this pathetic old notebook of mine doesn’t seems to work anymore. I have been experiencing the “lagging-ness” of this notebook. I even came across this blue screen or commonly known as “Blue Screen of Death”.

From that problem occurred, I was required to restart my computer and some files were not save properly. After coming across such thing, one morning, I can’t even turn on the notebook anymore. It doesn’t display anything except few “beeping” sound and that’s it. That was the last breathe released by my pathetic old notebook.

Therefore, once I got nothing to do upon returning Sabah during my “summer” holidays, I decided to have a post-mortem on it. So one day, before I start the operation, first and foremost, I need tools like,

But I only need this few screwdrivers like,

I unscrewed all the screws at the bottom of the notebook, one-by-one. As a result, this was what can be seen.


I suspected the processor was placed somewhere in this area. Check it out after these few pictures.

From this picture, you can see the RAM. Also, check it out what is the RAM value after few pictures.

Can you see how big the fan was? The moment it started to move, it produced a “Kancil’s air-con compressor” sound. Imagine yourself how noisy it was when I used such notebook last time.

This was the compartment where the battery was placed in the notebook. After few years, the battery “kong” off. So, it has to depend on DC-in jack for power supply.

An odd looking battery actually causing the notebook to be much heavy. To be honest, this whole pathetic notebook weighed approximately 3.5 Kg.

This was the hard disk bay. This notebook came with 30 GB storage capacity. Unfortunately when this notebook was dead, I taken out the hard disk and bought a notebook-size hard disk casing in order to make it as external hard disk. The hard disk was still reusable though the notebook was dead.

The picture above says it all. The value of the RAM was only 256 MB. I was told it was SD RAM not DDR 2 RAM. So ancient?

As mentioned, this was the part where I suspected the processor was stored in this notebook. I unscrewed all the screws. And I didn’t expect the screw was like

The two pictures below were how the heat produced by the processor and transferred through the metal.


From the metal, the big fan inside the notebook was used to blow the heat out from the notebook.

There you are, the Intel Pentium 4 processor,



I can’t operate the notebook further. If I was to open up all, I may break the whole notebook body and the frame as well. Sorry for unable to display the motherboard of this notebook.

That’s all from my post-mortem and analysis. Actually this notebook can be dumped into the rubbish bin. But I kept it for future reference.

No comments: