Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Banana not just a fruit

Being in Kampar, Perak was a totally drastic change of environment to me. I just watch this Taiwanese drama through Youtube (since I don’t even have Astro subscription here).

What it has going to do with my life over Kampar?

Well, I have 1 main problem about myself in Kampar. My Mandarin indeed (What more can you say about my Cantonese)[Hakka that one I “paling terror lah”]. Some even asked me…

Person A-to-Z: Adrian, I realized that the way you speak Mandarin got a bit of American slang.

Me: Huh? Really? (o.0)…

No matter where I go, almost everything in Mandarin. I wonder how I end up one day in China? From speaking, listening, writing to reading, I was not being well educated with Mandarin language. From primary school onwards, I never learnt Mandarin except through my family. My housemates and course mates questioned me…

Person A-to-Z: That means you’re English-educated?

Me: Huh? Why do you say so?

Person A-to-Z: Because you never “tuk jung” (study in Chinese school) and your parents must be English-educated.

Me: Eh hello, I study in Malay school. Why don’t you say I’m Malay-educated instead of English-educated?

Another case, while listening to a Mandarin spoken announcement, if I can’t understand a word…

Me: What is “…” means? (I asked my close friends in Mandarin AND expect them to translate in English or Malay)

My Friends: Oh, means …

Alright I understand that I’m truly a “sang jiao” (banana) [a person who don’t know Mandarin]. I wonder why people in Peninsular Malaysia will judge you as an English-educated person straight away when you don’t know Mandarin language. Unlike Sabah, it seems no one cares about you if you can’t speak Mandarin.

I’m truly sorry if my Mandarin conversation between us really hurts you. But if it hurts you, you think I’m not hurt ah? Backstabbing me behind saying Adrian is “sang jiao”. !@#$%^&*

8 comments:

Peterchl in Kampar said...

ur mandrin i think is quite ok wat...at least u can speak la...better than those who called themselves english educated but not carry any good western's value...n look down on other ppl somemore...that 1 is really banana...

Adrian Foo (符显杨) said...

You better teach me how to speak Hokkien. I had enough with Mandarin. Hahahaha...

Agnes said...

I don't remember speaking chinese with you (do we?)~ but I don't think its that bad lah considering u can speak hakka also.

No problem one lah~

Adrian Foo (符显杨) said...

I tak perasan pun we speak Mandarin. Hahaha. Because we mostly speak English and Malay. Even Jade who tuition Pengajian Am with me few years ago went shocked when I communicate with my friends in Mandarin.

Agnes said...

she apa apa also shocked one lah~ don't even know where have she been hiding her butt HAHA!

Sabahan bah~ very rojak :)

Adrian Foo (符显杨) said...

Sememangnya rojak BAH! Hahaha... I love Sabahan slang, BAH.

pei sin said...

lol...same problem here...

Adrian Foo (符显杨) said...

Let's ruleZ!